The museum

Opened to the public in March 2009, after several years of work, the Grand Curtius, which is located in the historic heart of Liège and on the banks of the Meuse river, is one of the major hubs for museums in Liège. This museum site – which was built around a Mosan Renaissance building, constructed at the end of the 16th century or the beginning of the 17th century for Jean de Corte, known as Curtius, a rich arms and gunpowder dealer – has a total surface area of more than 5000 m² and houses exceptional collections of art and history. The Curtius Palace, which was built with red bricks, Meuse stones and mascarons and is a listed building in Wallonia's exceptional heritage, wears its colours beautifully.

The “Simenon: images of a world in crisis”

Between 1931 and 1935, Georges Simenon travelled the world and brought back reports, novels and, though it is less well known, thousands of photographs, often of very high quality. A selection of them is on display at the Grand Curtius, dotted along a tour that asks the following question: what does Simenon the photographer tell us about Simenon the novelist and reporter? How do the pictures complement or illuminate his writing? From 08/03/23 to 27/08/23